Sunday, April 16, 2006

 

Weddings and Honeymoons

In the past two years no fewer than three couples have chosen to spend their honeymoons in our apartment in Calvi. The busiest thread in Tripadvisor's Corsica forum at the moment is about honeymoons in Corsica. And I read in the English newspapers over the weekend some survey results indicating that 25 per cent of people are choosing to have their actual wedding overseas.

This all gets me to wondering whether Corsica will ever become a "wedding destination" in the same way that Niagara Falls has become. I was once a remote observer of one of these away-from-it-all weddings in The West Indies. The bride and groom and a handful of their wealthier friends and relatives had decided to tie the knot in a kind of hastily constructed floral arbour in the gardens of a hotel. The gardens were exotic, and the bridal couple looked every bit as happy as one would hope, but it left me with the feeling that it wouldn't be the kind of service or celebration I'd want for any of my lot.

Corsica is certainly romantic, and more breathtakingly beautiful than anything I've seen in the West Indies. However, Corsica is a solidly Catholic and rather traditional place and I don't think it is quite ready to enter the overseas wedding marketplace. But it could do very well as somewhere to go on honeymoon. If you are in the early stages of planning your wedding, why not give it some thought?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

counter customizable free hit