Sunday, November 16, 2008

 

Alizée - at last

How could I have written this blog for such a long time without mentioning Ajaccio's pop queen Alizée? It took a comment from a reader to alert me to this young lady's talent, and a trawl on Google to underline the scale of her success.

Alizée Jacotey was born in 1984, some 39 years after I was, so I guess it's no surprise that her career has passed me by. She has had any number of hits (not just in France, but in places like Italy, Japan and Mexico) and her first album, Gourmandises, was number 1 in the French album charts.

A fulsome account of her career can be found on Wikipedia and if you'd like to hear a sample of her music you can do so on her official website. My correspondent also has a lively blog devoted to her, and you can find this here. I found her music enjoyable and surprisingly accessible and will be looking out for more opportunities to hear her work when we're next on the island.

So I wonder why Alizée hasn't so far appeared in the UK or USA charts? Her language is predominanly French and her style is uncompromisingly Mediterranean, but when she breaks into the English-speaking market, she won't be the first Ajaccio-born person to do so: Tino Rossi got there before her betweeen the two world wars. But that was even before I was born!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

counter customizable free hit