Tuesday, July 13, 2010

 

Parking your car under water? It'll cost you...


I have a lot of time for our local council in Calvi.

With a bit of help from elsewhere, they have made the main road into the city truly spectacular, with broad paved walkways and road islands festooned with wonderful flowers. It has made a real difference and I now feel that I am arriving somewhere amazing, even when I drive in to Super U to do the shopping!

Some time ago, however, I believe they made an error of judgement. Anybody could have made it and I'm not going to make a meal out of it...

There is a big unpaved area on the right as you drive past the supermarkets, and for years it has been a free car park, an unofficial overnight resting place for motor homes and a quick and easy route to the beach. What has happened recently is that about half the car park has been cordoned off and drivers parking there have been charged to park there.

So far so good. It just meant that on any one day, the free half of the area was crammed full of cars and there might have been one or two unwitting newcomers in the paying section of the area.

But I don't think the planners took account of the weather forecast or the drainage. This June, after torrential rain, the whole of the paying area of the car park was flooded, making entry impossible without serious inconvenience. And the free part remained dry.

Maybe the summer sun has dried out the pay-park for July and August and the Council will get their income - I'm sure someone will let me know. While I was there however, the car park looked more like an anchorage!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

counter customizable free hit